Boating is a fun and exciting way to spend quality time with your family. Whether you’re planning a day trip or a week-long adventure, a little preparation can help ensure that your family boating trip is a success. In this article, we’ll provide tips on how to plan the perfect family boating trip.
- Choose the Right Destination The first step in planning a family boating trip is to choose the right destination. Consider factors such as the distance you’re willing to travel, the size and type of boat you have, and the interests and abilities of your family members. If you’re new to boating, consider staying close to home and exploring a nearby Bay or a Harbor that provides lots of protection from the elements such as wind and swell. If you’re experienced boaters, consider a longer trip to a coastal area or an island.
- Pack the Right Gear Packing the right gear is essential to a successful family boating trip. Be sure to pack life jackets for everyone onboard, as well as sunscreen, hats, and sunglasses to protect against the sun. Bring plenty of water and snacks to keep everyone hydrated and energized. Don’t forget to pack towels, blankets, and a change of clothes in case someone gets wet.
- Plan Activities for Everyone While boating can be a relaxing activity, it’s important to plan activities that will keep everyone entertained. Bring board games, cards, or other games that can be played onboard. If you’re heading to a beach or island, plan a picnic or a beach day. If you’re fishing enthusiasts, plan a fishing trip and see who can catch the most fish.
- Check the Weather Forecast Checking the weather forecast is important before heading out on a family boating trip. Make sure to plan your trip on a day with good weather conditions and check for any potential storms or high winds. If the weather does turn bad, have a backup plan in place for indoor activities or alternate destinations. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE, planning a trip around good weather can turn a great trip in to a trip that you and the family will never forget.
- Safety First Safety is a top priority when boating with your family. Make sure everyone onboard knows the basic safety rules, such as wearing life jackets and staying seated while the boat is moving. If you’re new to boating, consider taking a boating safety course to learn more about safe boating practices.
Planning the perfect family boating trip involves choosing the right destination, packing the right gear, planning activities for everyone, checking the weather forecast, and prioritizing safety. By following these tips, you can ensure that your family boating trip is a success and create unforgettable memories with your loved ones.
Utilize the local islands, There are dozens of hidden gems around auckland see below.
- Rakino Island.
- Kawau Island.
- Tiritiri Matangi.
- Aotea Great Barrier Island.
- Rangitoto Island.
- Waiheke Island.
- Rotoroa Island.
- Motuihe Island
For spots outside of Auckland. check this link out. https://bettersailing.com/best-sailing-destinations-in-new-zealand/